NAV Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann

Forum for the U.S.S. Hyperion, running every Monday at 1900 UTC. Talk about your missions and your crewmates here, or feel free to post your logs for everyone to read.
Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Re: CEO Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann

Postby C. J. Short » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:23 am

Baby shower in Rome's quarters while he's away!
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:27 am

as long as you don't touch his liquor cabinet!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:25 pm

Very well. Beam all the alcohol out of the cabinet!
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby Einar S » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

aXO Lt Cmdr Danann & guest 11507.27

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:48 am

Niamh ran her fingers over the rough leather armrest of the XOs seat on Hyperion's bridge. It felt oddly comfortable being back in her old job so suddenly, and despite everything that had changed, everything that she'd lost, she sensed a tension inside her easing a little. If only Tony was here to see her, she thought with a heavy sigh.

"You look good Nia" he crossed his hands as he leaned against the bulkhead to her left, his uniform greasy and dirty as the last time she saw him. In his office....where their unborn child had been conceived.
Niamh's brow arched in surprise. Her eyes darted around the bridge, wondering if anyone else had noticed what she was seeing. Everyone was going about their duties.

"Bout time you showed up, you know," she replied with a hint of a smile.
Tony grabbed a dirty rag out of his uniform pocket and wiped his hands "I've been busy putting her back together....we took a hell of a beating but she's a tough old girl. I see your luxury yacht is still shiny" he grinned and winked at her as he slid over to the Captain's chair and fell down in the seat.
"I had to find something to do to pass the time," she replied defensively. "I needed to keep my mind off you, you know..."
"Moi? Why would you want to do that?" he winked at her and jabbed her with his elbow, then jerked over to the side and kissed her on the cheek. "You smell nice."
"And you smell like you've been cleaning out plasma injectors with your bare hands," she chuckled. "But it's good to see you. I've missed you Tony." She looked at his face with deep regret. "So much has happened..."
"Hey, I'm right here" he smiled gently and reached over and took her hand, then placed it on her stomach "We're having a daughter....that's amazing. Why so down?"
She felt her eyes tearing up as she laced her fingers through his and squeezed his warm hand, clinging to it like it was the most important thing in the world. "I'm scared out of my wits."
"You scared? I'm terrified!" he said as he squeezed her hand back. "But I'm equally excited....I'm gonna be a dad. They're going to call me dadman! No scratch that, that's horrible...."
Niamh snorted a laugh. "Dad jokes already?" She smiled at him, brushing aside a tear that was threatening to streak down her cheek. She swallowed and made a decision. She'd commit to this. "We'll have to set up space in my quarters for her... Maybe I should request an assignment on a station? You'd see us more that way... I dunno. What do you think?"
"We'll be there for her, even if that means a station job. It's what's important now."
"We? Station...? You'd give up ship life just like that? You know I'd never expect you to..." she bit her lip. "Though, god, can't believe I'm saying this, me of all people... It'd be nice to have a stable life for a while... Give her the childhood I didn't get to have..."
"I'm gonna build a crib!" he exclaimed with a grin on his face. "This will be fun"
She lifted his hand to her lips and kissed it. "I love you." She could almost smell the grease from a long day in Engineering on his skin. Sorrow caught in her throat, burning her words before she could utter them; I can't do this without you...
She forced the feeling down. "We need to start thinking of names...", she managed.
"I kinda like Antonia" he said with a grin. "A strong powerful Italian name...also runs in the family" he chuckled and gave her hand a squeeze.

"hm... Antonia Danann... "
"beg pardon, ma'am?" a bewildered yeoman asked, unsure whether or not to hand over the PADD she was carrying.
Niamh lifted her head from her day dream, startled. "What...?" She removed her arm from her stomach, the ghost of Tony's fingers disappearing achingly fast from between hers. "Forget it," she ordered and snatched the PADD impatiently.
"I'll be in my office... " she added as she lifted herself out of her seat and made a fast exit, avoiding eye contact all the way.

Commander

aXO Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann SD 11507.27, supplemental

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:52 pm

Dear Mom...
that was the easy part... now what?
Mom. I have news...
wow, really, Niamh?
Mom, hey, how are you? Not pregnant like me, I hope...
ugh, you are the worst.
So, Mom, you know the way you got pregnant by accident and never actually knew who, or indeed, what species the father was? Least I know he's human!
christ... critical much?

Mom... Tony's dead and I'm pregnant.
there, that's to the point. go with that.
We're having a daughter, it seems, and he's gone and I'm scared. I'm also First Officer again, so that's more pressure on top of the shitstorm I'm quite literally keeping under my belt, here. I don't know what to do, Mom. I need your help. I don't expect you to leave Risa; a starship is no place for a civilian these days anyway, but I'd give anything to hear your voice and get your thoughts on this mess. What should I do?

I... I'm not even sure I should keep it... her... keep her...
I should be happy, right? This should be great news... The two people I've told have acted like this is the best case scenario... "at least a part of Tony will live on", but... ugh. I'd give up this tiny speck of cells in a second if I thought it'd get him back safely, and that kills me. It makes me feel like an unfeeling monster.

I can't find any good in this...

-

Niamh stared at the words scrolling on the screen before her, skimming them, knowing each letter was the honest truth. She rubbed her tired eyes with the back of her hands and groaned.

"Fucking war..." she cursed, blaming the stress and business of the last few months for her forgetting her appointment with the doctor. Who had time to think about contraceptive measures when there was a plasma injector threatening to blow, or a hull breach to fix? She assumed, in his Engineering section on the Bremen, Tony had had similar priorities in mind.
She had always heard that the "Engineer's curse" was an extreme dependence on caffeine, but she began to wonder how many little Engineering babies were running around starships further exhausting their already timepoor parents...

"Computer, delete communiqué... and get me a goddamned coffee. Italian blend, strong, sweet. I'm not giving up him and coffee in the same week..."

Commander

Postby Einar S » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:55 pm

love it!
Captain Jonathan Rome
Commanding Officer
USS Hyperion

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:55 am

Commander

aXO Lt Cmdr Niamh Danann 11508.17

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Warning, this... may be a bit disgusting. :)

---
Stomach churning, head spinning sickeningly, feet pounding on the grime-slick track, Niamh Danann tried desperately to focus on her tricorder and the sound of her Captain's voice, which now seemed impossibly distant inside her helmet.

In her periphery, she could see the masses of people too weak to do more than lift their feeble heads to see what the commotion was. Their eyes, when she connected with them, showed no room for curiosity. The life was already drained from their exhausted faces; these were people ready to die, these were bodies without souls, their time in the living realm counting down at a cruel pace.

She slipped, her tricorder skittering away from her.
"Shit!" she panted, pulling herself to her shaking feet once more and searching helplessly in the direction it had disappeared. Looking around in panic and disgust, she spotted it, resting gently beside an old woman's hand. She seemed to be examining it intently, her head turned in its direction, leaning to the side for a closer look without having to expend too much energy. "I'm sorry, ma'am, I need that," Danann said softly as she nervously moved closer. I need that, it seemed such a cruel thing to say to a woman who had less than nothing. I, with my full belly, clean bill of health and magical flying machine 'need' the miraculous piece of technology I carelessly let out of my grasp.
"I'm here to help..." she added as a salve. The woman seemed unimpressed.

Niamh stepped closer, aware that her tactical team was getting jittery behind her. "Ma'am..." she said, bending down to pick up the tricorder. She collected it in her hand, her glove brushing off the woman's hand gently. That's all it took. The prone body fell forward, disintegrating into a wet mess of bone, cloth and rotting viscera before her eyes.
"Oh God..." Danann retched, fighting the urge to get sick. She gagged, but managed to regain some control.

Her breathing heavier than ever inside her claustrophobic helmet, Danann turned away, gripped her tricorder tightly and signalled her team to continue in their search for the comm signal.
She'd deal with the nightmare she'd just witnessed later. Her eyes filled with tears once more. Later, Niamh. Later. Back of your mind. Back there with the war, and Tony and god knows what else...

Lieutenant

Postby Chris Esterhuyse » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Fantastic log! I felt nauseous reading it. Well done.
XO - Cmdr. Rojer Lyon - USS Hyperion

PreviousNext

Return to U.S.S. Hyperion