Game Director Masterclass

Discuss everything to do with the game here. Your ships, character story arcs, plots, plans and ideas are all fair game. If it's In-Universe, then it's in here.
Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Game Director Masterclass

Postby James Greenman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:59 pm

Welcome!

If you're here, it's because you want to learn more about the art of Game Directing. Or because you click and read all of the new threads that are posted, and you're a good person for it. Here is where we'll discuss the finer points of pacing, creative license, different canon, NPCs, Mission Orders, crew involvements, CO/GD relationships and absolutely everything else about being one of Star Trek: Engage's finest. It's difficult work being a Game Director, but there is nothing more satisfying than constructing a fantastic story with interesting villans, dastardly scenarios, and endless options, then watching your crew try something absolutely unique that hadn't occurred to you and suddenly you have to scramble to make it all fit.

Game Directing is living on the knife edge of an adaptive story, and there is nothing finer in all the world.

Classes are now open, we'll be accepting applicants for the next few months and it'll be up to you to come up with a story, a direction, some NPCs and finally Mission Orders and a Prologue before we let you loose upon one of our ships. I'll be there to guide you through the whole process, answer questions, give you hints and advice and steer you in the right direction if you need it.

This thread will be used to discuss the class, show your support or interest and talk about Game Directing in general. It's also where i'll be posting class notes and short lessons. Don't go posting ideas and stuff in here though, you might ruin the surprise!
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Lieutenant

Re: Game Director Masterclass

Postby Jack Lucas » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 pm

I'd like to post some feelings I had after my first turn as GD last week.

The mission I ran was constrained for time, because it was just a one-off. However, I feel that in the future, allowing the players to drive the pacing of the mission, rather than trying to squeeze in a ton of action, will make it much easier.

I also prepared WAY more material than I needed to. The mission obviously needs to have a hook, and a resolution, however getting there, or what other resolutions the players discover along the way is part of the fun.

On pacing, I discovered that I was often too quick to leap in with an action, and that I didn't give players enough time to respond to the actions that I put in front of them already. This was also partly due to the constraint of time for this isolated mission.

I was not forthcoming enough with sensor scans and data to the players individually. I was waiting for "the right question" to be asked in some cases, and in retrospect, I should have offered bits and pieces, and complemented good ideas with actions or silent activity in private message that encouraged the right direction or good roleplaying.

Overall, I think I did alright, however, I obviously have tons of room to improve. People seemed to dig the mission, so I guess it went well. No one said anything bad, but I wish the feedback I'd gotten had been more critical. I like to hear what I can improve on, not just "hey good job, good effort." James is good at constructive criticism :D

Anyway, hopefully I'll learn more from the ambitious mission I have planned for the Saturn.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:27 pm

I would like to throw my hat into the ring, so to speak. I'll start coming up with something.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:11 pm

C. J. Short wrote:I would like to throw my hat into the ring, so to speak. I'll start coming up with something.

Fantastic! I look forward to seeing what you've come up with. Drop me an e-mail or a PM on the forums with your idea and we'll organise a slot for you.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Return to Engage Lounge