Who are you, anyway?

Discuss everything to do with the game here. Your ships, character story arcs, plots, plans and ideas are all fair game. If it's In-Universe, then it's in here.
Ensign

Re: Who are you, anyway?

Postby Heather Calver » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:49 pm

Don't fret Megan, I'm 16 also (well 16 and a couple weeks anyway). I'm a high school student in England about to start her GCSE exams (only about a month to go!)

I love Doctor Who, Torchwood, Star Trek (obviously), Star Wars, most of the Marvel heroes, Harry Potter... lots of nerdy sci-fi/fantasy things really.

I like all genres of music but mainly punk/metal. I love Marilyn Manson, Gary Numan, Fall Out Boy, Green Day and Crash Course (UK Subs cover band).

My main hobbies are Warhammer 40k, writing and drawing.

Can't really think of much else to say so I think I'll end it here.
Heather the Supremely Awesome over and out!

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Have you heard much punk outside of FOB/Green Day? Don't worry, I'm not an elitist, but if you're interested, I can tell you about some of the earlier punk bands that are good to listen to.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Ensign

Postby Heather Calver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:59 pm

I know my dad and stepmum play a lot of punk music but I can't remember many of the band names. I remember NOFX, Hoobastank, UK Subs, Queen Adreena, Alien Ant Farm, Sex Pistols and The Who off the top of my head but I can't think of the (many) others. It'd be great if you could tell me about some of the earlier bands! :)

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Heather Calver wrote:I know my dad and stepmum play a lot of punk music but I can't remember many of the band names. I remember NOFX, Hoobastank, UK Subs, Queen Adreena, Alien Ant Farm, Sex Pistols and The Who off the top of my head but I can't think of the (many) others. It'd be great if you could tell me about some of the earlier bands! :)

The Who are not punk. That is pure rock. :colbert:
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:31 pm

Heather Calver wrote:I know my dad and stepmum play a lot of punk music but I can't remember many of the band names. I remember NOFX, Hoobastank, UK Subs, Queen Adreena, Alien Ant Farm, Sex Pistols and The Who off the top of my head but I can't think of the (many) others. It'd be great if you could tell me about some of the earlier bands! :)

Based on your listed preferences, I would suggest The Ramones, Social Distortion, and The Clash, to start. If you get interested in exploring the origins of Punk, I would suggest the following:

The Velvet Underground
The Patti Smith Group
The Stooges

Of these, Patti Smith is generally regarded as the most influential; her debut album helped to inspire The Ramones, who would go on to make the genre really explode. From there, you might be interested in some 'New Wave' acts, like Blondie, Devo, and Talking Heads.

A word about the Sex Pistols:

Don't listen to the Sex Pistols. They were basically a caricature of Punk, put together to sell clothes in London. If you want British Punk, go with The Clash.

There's a lot more, but this would be a good start :)
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 pm

James Greenman wrote:The Who are not punk. That is pure rock. :colbert:

While true, it's easy to see the distinction get murky. Early Who tracks can sound a lot like punk tracks (My Generation), and they were influenced in part by The Kinks, who also influenced a lot of early punk bands, and are sometimes considered 'proto-Punk' as a result.

Ensign

Postby Heather Calver » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks for the recommendations C.J. I'll make sure I listen to some of them tonight :)

Lieutenant
Banned

Character Name: Alexis Wright

Postby Holly Kolodziejczak » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Can I revive this thread for us folks from the U.S.S. Atlantis? :V

I'm Holly, I'm 34, married, no kids, 2 cats. I live in Eugene, OR, USA. I'm currently underemployed as an office drone in a local municipal government office after being laid off from my IT job in 2008, and I'm thinking about going back to school to finish my degree. I also do localization of manga as a side gig.

My hobbies include singing, writing, origami, jigsaw puzzles, needlecrafts, drawing and coloring, collages, strategy games (I have spent altogether too much time playing Civ over the course of my life), browsing imgur, wasting time on reddit, generally being weird, and excessive introspection. I played WoW heavily for many years, but I quit a couple years ago and no other MMORPG has really caught my interest. Most of my RPG experience has been pen-and-paper tabletop (with dice and everything) and I'm still learning how to function in a more free-form RP environment.

Now for this bit, which I'm dreading since my Trek exposure is somewhat limited...
Favorite Trek Series: I actually really liked Voyager after a while.
Favorite Trek Episode: "Darmok" and "The Inner Light" are the episodes that have stuck with me the most.
Favorite Trek Movie: I haven't seen them all D:
Favorite Captain: Picard, though Janeway did get better as the series progressed
Favorite Trek Character: I have a few... Data, Geordi, Worf, the EMH from Voyager, and there were some EXCELLENT non-Star Fleet characters in DS-9... Odo, Quark, Dukat, Weyoun
Favorite Starship: I don't really have a preference.
Favorite Trek Villain: The TNG-era Borg were truly frightening. Dukat was an excellent antagonist if not a true villain.
CSO Lt Commander Alexis Wright, U.S.S. Atlantis

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Holly, you sound like my kind of nerd :^5:

Lieutenant
As predicted in the Bible

Postby Luceo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Alright, I'll jump in too.

I'm Jason or Jay, and I'm also 34, married, no kids, 2 cats. But I don't live in Eugene, OR like Holly up there, but in Northern Virginia. I work in information security for REDACTED.

I like to brew my own beer, of which I have two on tap at my house at any given time. I also enjoy scuba diving and gaming, and watch entirely too much hockey. I also like NFL football and curry, and try to play guitar.

Favorite Trek Series: I loved them all, so I'd really just have to nominate a least favorite which would be DS9.
Favorite Trek Episodes: Best of Both Worlds, Year of Hell, Balance of Terror, City on the Edge of Forever, and In a Mirror, Darkly. Also, any of the Voyager Q episodes, and The Trouble With Tribbles gets my :buddy: Award.
Favorite Trek Movie: Wrath of Khan, but I really consider 2-3-4 to be one long movie.
Favorite Non-Trek TV Show: Battlestar Galactica (new) :cylon:
Favorite Captain: Kirk :smug:
Favorite Trek Character: Dr. McCoy, Dr. Phlox, and Dr. The Doctor (I sense a trend)
Favorite Starship: The Atlantis, of course. Oh, wait, one we saw on screen? Excelsior!
Favorite Trek Villain: Khan (Ricardo Montalban version, Cumberbatch was good, but I didn't think the script did the character justice)
Last edited by Luceo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Come let us sail the boundless sea..."

PreviousNext

Return to Engage Lounge