What's your favourite kind of Trek tale?

Discuss everything to do with the game here. Your ships, character story arcs, plots, plans and ideas are all fair game. If it's In-Universe, then it's in here.
Lieutenant JG

Re: What's your favourite kind of Trek tale?

Postby Riccardo Fabris » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Any episodes that does world-building and shows entirely new species, really.

Lieutenant

Postby Andrew James » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:16 am

Robert Wright wrote:my favorite of TNG was the episode Data defended his rights as a sentient being

"Your honor, Starfleet was founded to seek out new life: well, there it sits!"

Brilliant!

Ensign

Postby Brian Bailey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:22 pm

I like good science fiction stories. I liked the episodes where choice and a reflection of who were are shined the most. I liked to see good character development storylines as well. I like good action. I like so many of what Trek is about that was forgotten in Voyager and especially Enterprise.

Star Trek allows us to look at ourselves through someone else's lenses some times an alien species. Our fear as a society about homosexual rights was seen in a TNG episode when Riker fell in love with an alien who chose her gender. We have seen racism and bigotry in TOS episodes shown. Sometimes it is a hard look at ourselves.

I have liked the action. I like a good villain. I like a good storyline. So much we have seen in Trek there is so many great ideas we can do this.

Lieutenant

Postby Jack Lucas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:13 pm

What are some of your LEAST favorite Trek stories?

Or, more pointedly, (especially for you experienced Trek RPGers), what sort of hooks and stories have been done to death or overdone or not done particularly well, not only in Trek TV, but in these games as well?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Jack Lucas wrote:What are some of your LEAST favorite Trek stories?

Or, more pointedly, (especially for you experienced Trek RPGers), what sort of hooks and stories have been done to death or overdone or not done particularly well, not only in Trek TV, but in these games as well?

Political intrigue. For all of the above.

I find that it become trite and contrived, with the writer trying to show how in touch or clever they are, or shoehorn in some kind of political opinion. In games, it just leads to the majority of the crew not having anything to do, because that's all talking rather than doing.

Edit: I'm not saying it can't be done right, i'm just saying that it almost never is.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander
*I* put Baby in a corner!

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Anything and everything involving Dr. Pulaski.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Site Admin
That would be unwise

Character Name: Rhodri "Griff" Griffiths

Postby James Greenman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:50 pm

C. J. Short wrote:Anything and everything involving Dr. Pulaski.

Pulaski actually showed some of the most character growth in the shortest time. I loved Season 2 because of her, the whole Data/Pulaski bit was great.
Star Trek: Engage Game Manager

Game Director -Sigma Rho Station & U.S.S. Sentinel

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:17 pm

James Greenman wrote:Pulaski actually showed some of the most character growth in the shortest time. I loved Season 2 because of her, the whole Data/Pulaski bit was great.

No it wasn't. Pulaski was a desperate rehash of Dr. McCoy.
"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death." - George Bernard Shaw, Overruled

Commander

Postby C. J. Short » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:33 pm

I mean that literally, by the way.

Season 2 of TNG was produced during a writer's strike, so they weren't able to write new scripts. What they did was go back and recycle a bunch of scripts from a scrapped project called Star Trek: Phase II, which was to be a continuation of TOS, starring many of the same characters and such.

Commander

Postby Aoibhe Ni » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:43 pm

James Greenman wrote:
Jack Lucas wrote:What are some of your LEAST favorite Trek stories?

Political intrigue. For all of the above.

I have to agree. Anything revolving around the fate of one lynch-pin NPC, in a vast species-wide conflict ("Save the Princess!","The President must make that speech!", etc) can get very boring down in Sickbay, or Main Engineering very fast. Now, while I do feel that players being able to occupy themselves from time to time is a must, I don't think that fact should be relied on too heavily.

PreviousNext

Return to Engage Lounge